The first record that we have as to where they lived is on their
marriage contract notarized by J. Gabrion, September 23, 1782.
It states that Jans owned a parcel of land in the Beauharnois region.

( However, a contract has yet not been found for this land )

"Déclare Le futur Epoux qu’il possède une terre de un arpens et demy
de front, Sur vingt arp. de profondeur, Sise a Beauharnois. Tenant pardevant
a La Rivière Cataracouis, par derrière aux terres non concdé.
D’un Costé à françois Langelier Et d’autre audit  J Sebastien chenedre.
Laquelle terre Le dit futur Epoux ameublit pour La faire Entrer En La ditte
Communauté de même que Si Elle Eut Eté acquise pendant Ledit futur mariage."

They lived at this location until 1783.  In the meantime, Jans built a new home
situated in the Seigniory of Nouvelle Longueuil, in the Soulanges region.
He obtained a concession for land No.11 on January 13, 1783,
from Joseph Dominique Emanuel Lemoine, Baron de Longueuil:

"A Jean Sauvage, habitant demeurant  à Beauharnois.....
Une Terre & Concession de la contenance de trois arpens de front,
sur vingt de profondeur, Sise & située en la Seigneurie de la Nouvelle Longueuil
au Costé du Sud de la Rivière à Delisle ----- tenant par devant à La dte Rivière -----
par derrière à aux terres Non Concédées ------ icelle Terre désignée No. Onze -----
joignant d’un côté à françois Poirier No.10 & d’autre à Mde. V Denault No.12 ......"

We know that they had moved into their new home by the month of July 1783,
as that is stated on another contract signed on the 16th of that month.
While they lived on this land, their 11 children were born.
On October 25th, 1803, Jans and Marguerite decided to sell it to Louis LeClerc
for the sum of Four thousand Schillings, that would be paid this way:
" One thousand cash, one thousand on January1st of the following year,
Jans had also the right to live on the said land until December 1st of the next year
and the use of the buildings until March 1805.
  On February 2nd ,1804, Jans bought land No.9 and its building
for the sum of 700 old Schillings from Joseph Cédilot dit Montreuil
located in Grande Isle, Seigniory of Annfield in the Beauharnois region.
Joseph kept the right to live and use the land until the end of March 1805.

" Jean Sauvage Maitre Tonnelier Demeurant En La paroisse dudit Soulanges.........
une terre de trois  arpens de front, Sur vingt arpens de profondeur Sise
Et Situées au Coté du Nord de Ladte Longue Isle Et Designée No.9.....
tenant pardevant à un Bras du fleuve Saint Laurent ou
Rivière Catharacouis, par derrière aux Terres non Concédées,
joignant d’un Côté à françois Verronneau dit denis No.8
Et d’autre à Jean Benjamin Rodrigue dit L’Espagnol No.10........"

On May 10th, 1804, eleven months before moving to Grande Isle,
Marguerite, 46, died eight days after giving birth to a stillborn child.
In March 1805, Jans , now a widower, left for Grande Isle with his
five youngest children, aged between five and fourteen.

On November 10, 1808, Jans donated land No. 23 situated in
Grande Isle to Magdeleine Vallée, wife of Charles Boyer.
In return, Magdeleine promised to care for Jans until his death.
He died on March 6th,1813.

"Cette donation ainsi faite à la Charge des droits Seigneuriaux tels que dessus et
en autre pour récompenser la ditte Magdeleine Vallée donatrice des bons ....
qu’elle lui a rendus et qu’elle lui rend Journellement, et dans l’esperance
qu’elle lui Continuera à l’avenir Jusqu'à Son Décès de lui donateur."



© 2010, Savagefamily.ca.